The Elaphiti Islands or the Elaphites (Croatian: Elafitski otoci or Elafiti) is a small archipelago consisting of several islands stretching northwest of Dubrovnik, in the Adriatic Sea. The Elaphites have a total land area of around 30 square kilometers and a population of ~1000 inhabitants. The islands are covered with characteristic Mediterranean evergreen vegetation and attract large numbers of tourists during the summer tourist season due to their beaches and pristine scenery.
Only the three main islands are permanently inhabited, each of which supports a modest tourist industry. They are connected with the mainland via daily ferry lines operated out of Dubrovnik. Šipan – It´s the farthest and largest island in terms of area (15.8 km2) with a population of 436 inhabitants. It also has two villages, Šipanska Luka and Suđurađ, both served by Jadrolinija ferry lines. Koločep – It is the closest island to Dubrovnik, located 5 km from the Dubrovnik harbor at Gruž. It used to be an shipyard in the period of Republic of Ragusa. It is one of the most indented and the southernmost permanently inhabited Croatian island with a population of 294 inhabitants. It has seven pre-Romanesque churches dating back to the times of the Croatian kings, from the 9th to the 11th century. Lopud – Second in size and best known for its sandy beaches, it is located between Šipan and Koločep islands. It's well developed in terms of tourism infrastructure, including the Lafodia hotel in the town of Lopud.